Tuesday, September 07, 2010

This week's cool shows: Hopscotch! and more!


It's true: Hopscotch is not only the biggest thing going this week, it's probably the biggest thing to EVER hit the city (and the state?). Various other folks, including fellow bloggers Triangle Music, have listed their must-see shows. Triangle Music's list of recommended shows is pretty much the exact opposite of mine, which I think is a very good thing, and an example of why it's good to have more music bloggers with a variety of perspectives. Anyway, here's my list of recommended shows, Hopscotch-related and otherwise, for the week.

Wednesday, Sept. 8: Hopscotch pre-party with Valient Thorr and Howl at Kings -- I'm especially excited about Howl, who feature a kick-ass female guitar player, plus VT always puts on a kick-ass show.

Thursday, Sept. 9, 12:30-5 p.m.: 307 Knox Day Show at Kings (Unfortunately I'll have to miss this one because I couldn't get two days off in a row). With free beer from Triangle Brewing. Download the 307 Knox compilation beforehand.

Thursday, Sept. 9, 4-6 p.m.: Superchunk "Majesty Shredding" listening party at Foundation

Thursday, Sept. 9: Lots of scheduling conflicts here, but I'm going to try see Ear Pwr (Berkeley, 8:30), Max Indian (Lincoln, 10), Canabis Corpse (midnight, Slim's), Future Islands (12:30, Berkeley) and The Moaners (12:30, Deep South).

Friday, Sept. 10, 12:30 - 5: The first of two New Raleigh Day Parties, this one at Tir na Nog with Cellar Seas, Veelee, Filthy Bird, Temperance League, A Rooster For The Masses. This one is sponsored by Aviator and will feature a local record "store" with music by local labels! It's also the last show booked by Chris Tamplin. Filthybird has a new album that I've heard great things about, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Friday, Sept. 10, 2 p.m.: Troika Day Party with Bellafea, The Pneurotics and The Beast


Friday, Sept. 10: Daytime Layabout with Churchkey Records, featuring The Wigg Report, Pinche Gringo and a Surprise headliner!

Friday, Sept. 10: The Rosebuds at City Plaza, Bellafea (9:30 Tir na Nog) Whatever Brains, Harvey Milk, Double Negative and F'd Up (Berkeley), Bowerbirds (11:30, Pour House)


Saturday, Sept. 11: 11 a.m.: Local Time massive party in front of Raleigh Times, With Des Ark, The Loners, Red Collar and more!

Saturday, Sept. 11, 1-5 p.m.: The Mann's World Day Party! Come out to my party with Hog (1:15) MAKE (2:15), Death Came Down the Mountain (3:15) and Black Skies (4:15). It's free!


Saturday, Sept. 11, 1-5 p.m.: New Raleigh party with the Drughorse Collective. If I didn't have my own party to attend, I would definitely be at this one.


Saturday, Sept. 11: For my money this is going to be the best night of the entire festival:
Public Enemy and the Love Language at City Plaza! Dynamite Bros (9:30 Pour House), In the Year of the Pig and US Christmas (Berkeley), DUNGEN!!! (11:30, The Pour House) this is the band I want to see more than anyone at this fest; When I found out they were playing, I whooped so loud in my little cube at work that I scared my co-worker. After Dungen I'm not sure if I will return to the Berkeley for Kylesa or go to Slim's for Pontiak.

Sunday, Sept. 12: Post-Hopscotch party with The Body at Slim's


BUT! Believe it or not, there are actually a few other non-Hopscotch-related events happening in the coming week. Notably, Scumfest, which is a reunion for fans and patrons of Garner's old beloved Caboose nightclub, is happening this weekend at Volume 11 Studios. I've heard some folks say that it wasn't wise for the organizers to hold this the same week as Hopscotch (and I've said that myself). But honestly the audience for these two events probably won't overlap by much. I'm also glad to see something happening at Volume 11 this weekend. I realize Hopscotch is meant to be a downtown event, but that automatically, and kind of unfairly, cuts venues like Volume 11, Dive Bar, Sadlack's and the Brewery out of the mix.

Also this weekend, there is a Switch Reunion for North Carolina guitar legend Tommy Redd of Nantucket. Tommy recently lost his wife, Valerie, and proceeds from this benefit will help offset the financial costs that the family is having to deal with. If you lived, and partied in North Carolina during the late 70s and early 80s, you will know all these bands:
Jesse Bolt, Glassmoon, Doc Holliday, Driver, Super Grit and Cirkus. This reunion will happen on Sunday at Crossroads Entertainment Complex in Wake Forest.

No comments: