Wednesday, June 27, 2012

This week's cool shows: Buried Underground, Weese Fest and more!


The Independent nicely summed up this weekend's festival mania in today's issue. From metal to punk to Americana, there's a festival for all tastes and in all three Triangle cities. Unfortunately my schedule is in flux, and I most likely will be out of town, but in case I'm here, I absolutely plan to be at the Buried Underground, at the Chapel Hill Underground, Thursday - Saturday. All three nights feature a killer mix of (mostly) local bands, but I'm especially looking forward to seeing Massachusetts band The Proselyte, who play at 7 p.m. on Friday.  Check out their album, "Sunshine."




The other big show for yours truly is Weese Fest (featuring Jack the Radio, Debonzo Brothers and much more) at Big Boss on Saturday. Weese Fest, named in honor of Big Boss bartender/Pour House doorman Benton Weese, is a benefit for the Jim "Catfish" Hunter Chapter of the ALS Society. There will also be a lot of food trucks, and of course some awesome Big Boss beer. The festivities begin at 3 p.m.

If you miss the Debonzo Brothers at Weesefest, they'll play a July 4 party in front of Raleigh Times at 7 p.m. I truly can't tell you how excited I am that Raleigh finally got a clue and moved the fireworks downtown. I have lived in this town since 1994 and never saw the fireworks in Raleigh because I just didn't feel like driving out to the fairgrounds. I think this is a great move, and am very much looking forward to the downtown party that night. I won't even mind dealing with a bunch of amateurs.


Also this week, the Girls Rock NC Showcase will take place Saturday (early show) at the Pour House. Come on out Pour House and support these rockin' young ladies and this very worthy program.




Finally, looking ahead, Yob frontman Mike Scheidt and Nate Hall of USX will bring their solo acoustic tour to Kings on July 18. Nate Hall's solo works shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. USX expands the boundaries of metal in all directions, including quiet acoustic. But man I was pretty surprised by the delicateness of the  Mike Scheidt stuff. The light guitar work and soaring vocals on "Stay Awake" were not what I was expecting from the man who pounded my mind into submission during last year's Yob show at Kings. This is a sit-down, sipping-some-wine show for sure. Can't wait to see what this is like live.



Also coming up, Agalloch with Taurus at Kings on Sunday, July 29. Agalloch has released their new album, Faustian Echoes, for streaming on Bandcamp.

No comments: