Tuesday, May 17, 2005

I wrote this on my other blog, but I think it bears repeating:

Let me start this off by saying how much I love Slayer's "Reign in Blood." About a year ago I allowed a former boss to borrow my copy because his teenage daughter was getting into death metal, and he wanted to help her find some bands he thought she might like (not often you hear that).

Anyway, the girl promptly lost the CD, and it's taken me until now to go out and get another copy. I arrived home yesterday to find it waiting for me in the mail (yes, I prefer to order my music online). I cannot describe the joy of kicking off my shoes, uncorking a fine $7.99 bottle of Chardonnay, and relaxing with "Altar of Sacrifice" blasting over my stereo system. Now, if I can only convince my friend Johnny to teach me to play drums (listening to Dave Lombardo always makes me wish I could play drums).

David Ranii has a good article today in The News & Observer about how radio is trying to recapture listeners lost to iPods and satellite radio. I find it interesting that one of the methods is to incorporate "train wreck" playlists, which is something college radio has been doing for years.

Finally, Nicky Trimiar (Mercury Birds, Taija Rae) sent me a copy of her swirly new solo project, Basalt, which I'm listening to right at this very moment. It's lo-fi, mainly her and her guitar with a Casio and a few effects. I can definitely hear a My Bloody Valentine influence. And she's got a great voice too. e-mail her if you want more info.

1 comment:

Rev. Manny Festo said...

What about Taija Rae?