Friday, November 18, 2005

Snatches of Pink, Nov. 17 at Slim's Last night was my first time seeing Snatches of Pink in many years (I'm old enough to remember the Sara Romweber/Andy McMillan days). As always, singer/guitarist Michael Rank (that's his feet, above) has an all-star band backing him up, including John Howie (Two Dollar Pistols, Finger) on drums, Marc Smith of Patty Hurst Shifter on guitar and Nikos Chremos of Allnight in his first show with the band. Nikos was my boss at News & Novels in Greensboro during my grad school days, so for the longest time I just thought of him as a bookstore guy -- until I saw Allnight and realized he is a PHENOMENAL bass player. Anyway, Snatches, just like in the old days, put on a great show of raw, Stones-y rawk. Slim's, as far as the attitude of the place, seemed perfect for them. But, damn that place is small. The next time they play the Cradle I just might have to make a road trip, even though I HATE driving on I-40 at night. Here are some pictures

Snatches of Pink from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Also, I wanted to note that a couple of weeks ago, Miss Tori alerted me that Tiny Mix Tapes was looking for writers. Last night I got an e-mail back from them, so it looks like I'll be doing some band interviews for them!

8 comments:

Tony Plutonium said...

Nice shots! They look quite a bit different without Kevin's "young Iggy" bit. Where's Mike's hat?

And is there anything that John Howie can't do?

Anonymous said...

Nice coverage -- the movie is a definate plus!

I'm glad someone documented this show, as I was really wanted to go but was strandard in DC due to a flight cancellation.

I'm very impressed with their recent release STAG. Did they play much of that?

Anonymous said...

Nice coverage -- the movie is a definate plus!

I'm glad someone documented this show, as I was really wanted to go but was strandard in DC due to a flight cancellation.

I'm very impressed with their recent release STAG. Did they play much of that?

Anonymous said...

Karen, I have some additional pics from that night, let me know (post) if you'd like them.

Karen A. Mann said...

I'm afraid I'm not that familiar with their recent output, so i can't say if they did or didn't play it. And, yes! I would love to get the other pics. e-mail me at mannsworld@gmail.com with a link.

Anonymous said...

s.o.p. played 8 or 9 songs - the only song from stag was judas. there was one cover (cannot remember the name) and all else was yet to be recorded brand new work. demos if you will... killer shit!

steve turner said...

Nikos is my ex-husband and he's four months behind on support. Where are they playing next?

Karen A. Mann said...

Steve, I'm going to have to refer you to the Durham County Magistrate on that one.