Saturday, January 28, 2006



Last night I saw the first Patty Hurst Shifter CD-release show at Slim's (Patty Hurst Shifter Myspace page). They've scheduled two: One last night with Goner opening (Goner's Myspace page), and another tonight with Trousers.
I listened to the new CD ("Too Crowded on the Losing End") in the car on the way home and liked it a lot. I'm quite impressed to find that the great Ian McLagan plays organ on one of the songs. That's kind of appropriate since PHS really reminds me of a more maudlin Faces.

Goner, pictured below, was great as usual. For some reason I always forget how much I like them until I see them again. Then the next day I'm always thinking "Goner really is one of the best bands around here." They're not that far removed from their legendary first incarnation, Boy Wonder Jinx. So if you were ever into BWJ, you'll probably love Goner even more.



A couple of these photos turned out nicely by accident. As per usual, I was using my digital camera, which doesn't have a manual switch. So therefore it takes a second to focus, and if I'm not using a flash in a dark club, the aperture stays open a long time to get as much light as it can. It turned out that several people, including a woman to my right, were taking photos with a flash. A couple of times she used her flash while I was taking a photo without a flash, which created a neat stop-action effect.



I wish I could say that the films came out well. Slim's is so dark that it's really difficult to get anything worthwhile there. The Goner one came out OK. The PHS ones are way too dark, but sound OK. Especially take a listen to "Shake," which really rocked, and which appears on the new CD.

Finally, I'm thinking about buying server space on yahoo and eventually putting some of these little movies on iTunes so people can download them more easily. Is this a good idea? I'd appreciate any feedback.

Also, take a look at all the photos from this show on my Flickr set.

Goner from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Here's the Goner movie.


Patty Hurst Shifter - "Shake" from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Here's Patty Hurst Shifter doing "Shake" (you really can't see very much but it sounds OK).


Another one by Patty Hurst Shifter from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Here's another Patty Hurst Shifter movie (you can see even less here).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice work karen.
it was good to see you at the show.
best,
raymond

brendalove@gmail.com said...

I'm going to have to check out Goner.

That guy is cute too. Shallow but true.