Monday, April 30, 2007

Go see Pontiak this Thursday at The Reservoir

I'm telling you early so you can make sure to mark your calendars. Baltimore's Pontiak, whose "Valley of Cats" CD was one of my 2006 favorites, will be at The Reservoir in Carrboro this Thursday, and you should go. They have a brooding, bluesy, darkly psychedelic sound, but just when you get comfortable with that, they throw in something funky, almost reggae-like. If you like Vietnam, Chapel Hill's Red Smokes White or Greensboro bands All Night and Tiger Bear Wolf you should definitely check this show out. Pontiak is touring in support of a new album, which I haven't heard yet, but which, I understand, you'll be able to get at the show. Plus, it's at Reservoir, which I haven't had the pleasure of checking out yet. On a separate note, my love affair with Midnight Movies continues. Their new CD, "Lion the Girl" sounds like something Tex Watson would have listened to on an 8-track on his way to Sharon Tate's house. Shimmering and ominous at the same time.

No comments: