Friday, December 21, 2007

Videos from Christmas at the Cradle

On Wednesday I got out to Carrboro to see the Trekky Records extravaganza at Cat's Cradle. I got to see at least one band for the first time (I Was Totally Destroying It), and got video of a couple others for the first time. But because it was a big show with lots of bands, I missed more than I saw. I was told by one woman I met that Sweater Weather was the best band on the bill. I haven't seen them yet, but will now make an effort to do so.

I Was Totally Destroying It from Mann's World on Vimeo.

When I got there, I Was Totally Destroying It (video and photo above) was already playing a spot-on cover of U2's New Year's Day. Seriously, as I was walking up to the club, I actually thought the club was just playing that song in between bands. Since everyone was supposed to play holiday themed music, I don't think I got a very accurate sense of what they're like. I will say that they're tight, they obviously have a thing for Telecaster Deluxe guitars and they had a rabid fan-base.

The Moaners from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Since it was a few days ago, my memory is a little faulty, and I can't remember if the Moaners or Midtown Dickens were next. Regardless, above is a video from The Moaners, who always impress me.

Midtown Dickens from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Midtown Dickens (above), is one of those bands that spends about 60 percent of the time blowing me away, and 40 percent of the time getting on my last nerve. They're very child-like, and seem to have an acute sense of wonder and joy with music and being on stage. The problem is that they're just not very proficient musicians. Maybe they think spending more time with their instruments will dampen that joy. I think it will only heighten it.

Portastatic from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Finally, Mac McCaughan performed solo as Portastatic. Unfortunately my memory ran out right in the middle of his lovely solo! And because my memory ran out, I didn't get video of the Annuals' amazing full-chorus version of "Christmastime is Here" from the Charlie Brown Christmas special.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Hey! I was there, too. I mostly took pictures, but I did get some video of the cover of New Year's Day (although as is often the case, I'm singing along a bit). Check it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PwDgFQGQG28

Very impressive!

Although I must completely disagree about the Christmas Time is Here by Annuals. That was my cue to leave!

Although to be fair, I did get there before any of the bands started, so it was time.