Saturday, May 24, 2008

More from Caltrop, plus Colossus

A few years ago, some folks covered the early chiffon-era Judas Priest (pre-British Steel, maybe even pre-Hell Bent for Leather) at the Kings Great Cover-up. That was seriously one of the most awesome things I ever saw at the Cover-up. This morning I realized that Colossus, whose updated NWOBHM-style metal references Priest, Maiden and forgotten gems like Diamondhead, was the band that did Priest at that show. I thought they were fabulous enough after seeing them last night at Reservoir, but realizing that made me decide that they are now my new favorite band in the Triangle. Check out the video. You won't see much, but you will hear what they sound like. Go see them, and buy their CD.

Colossus from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Caltrop was even better than when I saw them last week, mainly because original drummer Jason Aylward, who now drums for Valient Thorr, sat in with them for a double -drum assault.

Caltrop from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Another one by Caltrop from Mann's World on Vimeo.

No comments: