Saturday, March 28, 2009

I may have a new favorite band

If you follow me on twitter, you know that I finally did something I've been planning to do for a while: I tweeted from a show. The show in question was Pink Flag and Whatever Brains at Tir na Nog last Thursday, and the reason is that Pink Flag absolutely rules. Seriously, I hate to gush because that kind of sounds simultaneously insincere and groupie-like, but I just can't think of enough good things to say about this band. First off, they're girls, and of course, I love to see girls because, honestly, it brings back fond memories of my own band days. They're cute and innocent and a little dorky, which is generally a formula for really crappy musicianship, but Pink Flag can actually play. The guitarist and bass player are really good; the drummer is great, plus she smiles the whole time and looks like she's having the time of her life. And they can all sing, and often sing together. I could start trying to connect what they're doing to the whole Riot Grrrl, and try to say something insightful about how they're the daughters of the original movement, but really all you need to know is that they rock. This clip is called "Dirty Hair Party."
Pink Flag from Mann's World on Vimeo. After getting all excited over Pink Flag, you'd think I'd be really pumped up for Whatever Brains, who are pretty much the most talked-about band in Raleigh right now, but they honestly had no impact on me whatsoever. I didn't like them, and I didn't dislike them. They were just kind of there. But I was obviously alone in my opinion because they had a pretty big audience who were all into what they were doing. I'll check them out again and see if they eventually affect me one way or the other.
Whatever Brains from Mann's World on Vimeo. See more photos.

No comments: