Tuesday, July 07, 2009

This week's cool shows: Joan Jett and The Club is Open!

I admit, I have had some unkind things to say about the Downtown Live music series, but I have to applaud Deep South for getting one of the true legends of rock to play outdoors for free this Saturday at Moore Square. And I have to applaud them for getting a slew of fine local bands to support her. T's drummer Gary Poole, whose band is among those slated to play Saturday, was kind enough to answer Five Questions for me on New Raleigh, so check that out too. Here's the line-up for the evening. Panyelo, by the way, is a steel-band from Morehead City, which includes Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffett in its repertoire. I don't know how that's going to go over after the Bleeding Hearts. 9 p.m.: Joan Jet 7:30 p.m.: I Was Totally Destroying It 6:30 p.m.: The T’s 5:30 p.m.: Violet Vector & the Lovely Lovelies 4:30 p.m.: The Beast 3:30 p.m.: Schooner 2 p.m.: Panyelo 1:45 p.m.: The Bleeding Hearts Just to tide you over until Friday, here's Joan at her snotty best:  Over in Chapel Hill beginning TONIGHT is the multi-day, multi-venue The Club is Open Festival, with an all-local line-up including, among others, Pink Flag, Red Collar, Pinche Gringo and Future Kings of Nowhere. I can't say which night is best, because they all have great line-ups, but if I go, I am most likely to be at the Red Collar show at Local 506 on Friday.

No comments: