Sunday, November 22, 2009

Video of The Monolouge Bombs and Small Ponds


I'm so used to seeing Scott Philips with the stripped-down guitar-less Goner that it was a little disconcerting to see him with a band that includes two guitars and a cello. But the full-band version of The Monologue Bombs turned out to do Phillips' character-driven vignettes justice without overwhelming them.

The Monolouge Bombs are often compared to The Hold Steady, and I think that's fairly accurate, but I also hear a lot of Billy Joel (as well as some Big Country, which Scott doesn't totally agree with).


The Monolouge Bombs from Mann's World on Vimeo.





I Was Totally Destroying It and The Small Ponds opened for The Monologue Bombs. I missed IWTDI, and only caught part of Small Ponds, which, if you're not aware, is Caitlin Cary's latest band. If you're a fan of Caitlin's and haven't checked them out yet, do so because they are amazing.



The Small Ponds from Mann's World on Vimeo.


No comments: