Sunday, April 11, 2010

Video from Small Ponds


My friend Alex, who knows more about alt-country than just about anyone around here, had been bugging me about going to see Small Ponds. Finally on Friday I took his advice. Small Ponds, btw, is the new band with Caitlin Cary of Tres Chicas and Whiskeytown, and Matt Douglas from The Proclivities. Before the show I checked out some of the music on their Reverb Nation and Myspace Pages, and thought it was good, but the live show really blew me away. 

Here's video of their cover of Tegan and Sara's "Call It Off". I'm not a Tegan and Sara fan (I actually had to ask Caitlin what song this was), so I have no clue how it stands up to the original. 



Small Ponds from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Friday was also my first time seeing a show at Marsh Woodwinds, which has gained a reputation for booking top-notch alt-country and jazz for early shows in a family-friendly atmosphere. In fact, you should be able to hear at least one baby crying in the video above. It's a great, kitchy little spot for an intimate sit-down show. I'm looking forward to seeing more bands there. 

No comments: