Saturday, December 08, 2012

Dive Bar, Volume 11 to close

(Batillus at Dive Bar, Sept. 29. 2010)

I wrote about the closing of Dive Bar for the Independent's music blog, Scan. You can read it here. In the post, I briefly touched on the fact that Volume 11 is also closing, and that as of Jan. 1, the Triangle will no longer have a dedicated metal club.

The timing of these two closings is coincidental, but still terribly disappointing for me. I admit that I wasn't a Volume 11 regular, but I still saw some amazing shows there -- notably Carcass and Trouble, both back in 2008.

Dive Bar, however was probably my favorite local club to see bands. I can't say enough good things about The Dive's booking agent, Robby Rodwell, who booked some of the most adventurous metal shows I've ever seen in this area. I was also very pleased to hold the last two Mann's World Hopscotch Day Parties at the club. Robby and Dive Bar deserve a lot of credit for offering great shows that were almost always free. The club owners told me that they are looking for another location. I hope they find it soon because I will seriously miss this club.

No comments: