Sunday, July 07, 2013

Cauldron and Volture at Maywood



(Cauldron)

(Cauldron)

Last was the first time I'd seen Richmond NWOBHM lovers Volture in a while -- and it just happened to be their second show with a brand new lead singer, Jack Bauer. I was a fan before, but the new singer seriously has taken them to a new level, and I loved the new stuff that they played. You can hear a new song with Jack here. They'll be at the Gwar-b-cue if you're thinking of making that trip. 

I was eager to see Toronto trad-metalers Cauldron live. I honestly wasn't into their latest album, and I thought they just might be a band that would work much better live than on record. I was not disappointed at all. They sounded great, and I'm eager to hear what they do next. Here's video (not by me) of "All or Nothing." See more photos

It was also my first trip to the Maywood. For those of you who haven't been there since the switch from Volume 11, the former stage area is now a pool room, and the stage is now in the same room as the bar.  It's a much smaller space, and very reminiscent of the Dive Bar -- which makes sense because Robby from the Dive Bar is now involved with Maywood. I thought the space worked well, but I can see how it will get really crowded when a larger band plays. 


No comments: