Friday, May 07, 2004

So, Franz Ferdinand. ... Jagged Scottish new wave reminicient of Gang of Four, Mission of Burma and Drums 'n' Wires- era XTC. Mr. X says it's nothing he hasn't heard before, and he's right. But it's something I personally haven't heard done well in the last 20 years or so. I actually like the similar- sounding Radio 4 better, but Franz Ferdinand's CD is something fans of the aforementioned bands should check out. Haven't heard much from Hot Hot Heat, though they also draw the same New Wave comparrisons.

The band I'm really excited about, though, is TV on the Radio. Unlike Franz Ferdinand, this is something I have not heard before. The only way I can describe it is techno doo wop blues. The closest comparrison I can think of is Television

According to the liner notes on their CD, Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes, the band itself consists of three guys, one on vocals and loops, one on vocals, guitar and loops, and the third on "music." Guest musicians sing, and play drums, flute and guitar. The music has kind of an ambient, industrial feel, while the vocals are soulfully confessional. The band's weak point is lyrics, which the band seems to have learned at the Michael Stipe School of Pretention and Vaguery. Here's a sample:

Cross the street from your storefront cemetary
Hear me hailing from inside and realize
I am the conscience clear
in pain or ecstacy
and we were all weaned my dear
upon the same fatiuge.

(Check out the cool video for Staring at the Sun, whose lyrics I just quoted.


Uh, yeah. Thank goodness singer Tunde Adebimpe has a good voice (a review on pitchforkmedia.com compared him to Peter Gabriel).


No comments: