Wednesday, January 03, 2007

A couple of reviews

I've been very slack about reviewing local music CDs that are out there right now, which is something I'd like to change. So, why not start off the new year with a few words about a couple of new releases?


North Elementary (Myspace)
"Not for Everyone, Just for You"
North Elementary is one of those bands I've heard about for a while, but never really bothered to learn much about. I've only seen them once -- when they played with The Never at 506, and since I was actually there to record The Never for a project I'm helping out with at work, I didn't really pay that much attention to them. They're going to be playing Jan. 12 at Cat's Cradle, and I plan to be there and check them out in a proper manner. Also on the bill are Schooner, Pleasant, Audubon Park, and The Heist and The Accomplice (from Columbia, S.C.).

Vocalist/guitarist/pianist John Harrison also drums with The Comas, a band that always seems to either knock my socks off or totally frustrate me. North Elementary doesn't cause such diverse reactions. Instead they make consistently pleasant, uncomplicated organ-oriented pop that diverges here and there into freak folk ("Speed of Lies"), anthemic rock ("You Have a Heart," which sounds like a rough Cars gem) or slightly psychedelic Brit-pop ("Medical Sunset" and "I'm Not Foolin'," the best song on the CD). Harrison's vocals and guitar are most of the band's focus, but it's really Holly Lowman's organ that makes a lot of really good songs on this CD great.

If you get a chance, also check out the sampler CD of all the bands that are going be at the Jan. 12 show. Harrison says that he sent it to the usual local indie record stores (Schoolkids, Bull City, CD Alley). Also check out North Elementary's appearance on WKNC at 6 p.m. on the day of the show.


Gilbert Neal
"Drink the Beast With Me"
Fightin' Fool Productions

This one's been sitting on my desk for a while, so I'd like to start of with an apology to Gilbert Neal for not getting to it sooner. Secondly I should apologize to him because, unfortunately, I can't give this CD a very good review. I admit, this has less to do with the musicianship on this CD, which is fine enough and more to do with the fact that this style of clever, acoustic jazzy rock just ain't my thing.

Neal states on his Myspace page that he is very influenced by Steely Dan, an incredibly innovative, talented band that just happens to get on my last nerve. He's also highly influenced by XTC, whom I adore. Neal has a clear voice, some nice guitar work, a tight backing band and impassioned lyrics that try a little too hard to be deep. Little of it leaves much of an impression. There are, however, a few stand-out tracks: the breezy, up-tempo "Aurora," and the funkier "Olivia" and "You're No Match for Me."

2 comments:

Mark said...

I really enjoy N Elementary, and the new one is great -- a bit more energetic than some of their previous efforts.

I don't think John has any affiliation with the Comas anymore, though, especially since they left the Triangle for NYC last year (or longer ago now?).

Karen A. Mann said...

Oops! You were right. I put the question to John just to make sure and he responded:

"i'm not with them anymore. but we are are still good friends..we usually get together in nyc when we go play there. (margaret white another ex coma played with north elementary till moving to nyc as well)"

I also promised to fact check my posts BEFORE I write them, not AFTER.