Sunday, May 20, 2007

Quick and dirty

Not much time to write this past weekend. Family obligations kept me from blogging and hitting up RebusFest on Saturday. My spies tell me it was a good show. I did manage to catch Chris Smith and Marc Smith, two members of Patty Hurst Shifter, performing an acoustic set at Sadlack's on Wednesday. Chris is the main singer/songwriter of the band, and this show allowed him to get back to the quieter, more introspective songs he was known for before joining PHS. I've been impressed with Sadlack's reincarnation, but I sure would like to see the bands back out on the patio. I know the management would too, so maybe it'll happen before long. Check out the movie.

Marc and Chris Smith of Patty Hurst Shifter from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Friday was The Cartridge Family, Bleeding Hearts and Vibekillers at The Pour House. I decided against Thunderlip, mainly because I wanted to get pics and movies of Vibekillers and the Cartridge Family (I've done Bleeding Hearts before). Unfortunately I walked into the show right as Cartridge Family were walking off stage. "I run a tight ship around here," barked soundman Jac Cain when I started whining about missing the band. "If the show says it's going to start at 10 p.m., it's going to start at 10 p.m.!" Folks, keep that in mind the next time you go to a show at The Pour House.Bleeding Hearts (pictured above) and Vibekillers definitely made up for it. And I can honestly say that Sam Madison's wearing a Nantucket T-shirt made my night. Here are the videos -- one from Bleeding Hearts, and one from Vibekillers -- who, just to bring this full circle, also feature Marc Smith.

The Bleeding Hearts from Mann's World on Vimeo.

(Bleeding Hearts)

The Vibe Killers from Mann's World on Vimeo.

(Vibe Killers)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved the solo/duo footage of Patty Hurst Shifter guys. They are, in my humble - the best songwriters & performers in this whole damn area. Wish they played more - weren't such a secret. How the hell did Whiskeytown become such a BIG deal here and these guys get ignored. NOT RIGHT!