Friday, March 28, 2008

Math rock? Meth rock? Myth rock?

Maple Stave from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Last night I headed down to Slim's and caught Maple Stave, a hard-hitting Durham trio that seems to be equal parts Fugazi and King Crimson. I didn't know what to expect, so before the show I asked Lee from Noncanon, who were also on the bill, what they were about. He said, "math," but yours truly heard "meth." I guess that would kind of work. Danny, also from Noncanon, heard this miscommunication and said, "they're myth rock." "Myth rock" brings up images of gnomes and epic guitar solos, which doesn't work at all. See the video above.

Noncannon from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Next up were Noncanon, who were a bit quieter than I was in the mood for at that moment, so I ended up taking off early.

No comments: