Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Video of Lonnie Walker at Artsplosure


Ever since I first saw Lonnie Walker, I've been trying to describe them to myself. They tag themselves as alt-country punk, and while they have some elements of both styles, neither truly fits. The closest I could get was comparing them to Violent Femmes. Then last week I played them for my SO, who immediately hit it on the head and said, "This sounds like Camper Van Beethoven."

Having never really listened to CVB, I can't say how true his assessment is. They were just one band that never grabbed me, but now I'm thinking I should go back and listen to them again, because I love Lonnie Walker so much.

Artsplosure would seem to be a perfect venue for them, but the intermittent rains on Saturday thinned the crowd considerably, and made the crowd that was there a bit lackluster. Still, they did debut a new song, and got hilariously creative with the song "Grape Juice," turning the line "fucked up" into "yup yup" for the family-oriented audience.

Lonnie Walker from Mann's World on Vimeo.

No comments: