Tuesday, March 16, 2010

This week's cool shows: St. Patrick's Day and more!



I have always loved St. Patrick's Day, so much so that I am willing to brave the green-hat-wearing drunken fools  that will infest several of my favorite watering holes just so I can get a pint of Guinness and see some awesome rock. The Trousers (above - photo by Jenn Love) start things off at Big Boss Brewery for a reported 6:30 p.m. show. Guitarist/singer Jim Pendergast said himself on that Facebook page that the show will be an early one. 

After the Trousers you have at least three good options for live music downtown: Old Habits at 42nd Street, Unknown Hinson at the Berkeley Cafe, or IWTDU2 at Tir na Nog -- where you'll see me fork over my bet money to IWTDI's John, who apparently really and truly is going to style his hair like Bono circa 1983 just for this show. This is definitely the show to see if you want to get into the St. Patrick's Day spirit. 

On Friday, there's another early show for your enjoyment: Caitlyn Cary's wonderful new band The Small Ponds with Rob Watson opening at Six String Cafe in Cary. My understanding is that Rob will go on at 8, and Small Ponds no later than 9:30. 

Finally, on Saturday The Rosebuds and Mount Weather will be at Cat's Cradle. Over here in Raleigh, The T's, along with new drummer Trey McLamb (formerly of Viva La Venus) will be at the Pour House with Weezer tribute band Destroy All Sweaters. 

UPDATES AND CORRECTIONS: Trey is still in Viva La Venus as well as The T's. The Rosebuds show is cancelled. 

3 comments:

Hepstyle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hepstyle said...

I think the Rosebuds have canceled. For $100 I would have frosted and spiked my hair, BTW.

Karen A. Mann said...

Hepstyle, you are indeed correct! The Rosebuds show is cancelled. And unfortunately for you, the only interesting hair do Larry Mullen Jr. ever had was the buzz cut.