Monday, August 23, 2010

Weekend wrap-up: Bad videos from Ragnarock



I have to say, maintaining this blog, and taking photos at shows had made me appreciate light men (and women) everywhere. Seriously, there are a lot of clubs in this area that take great care with their sound (and some who don't) but few who bother to make sure the band looks good on stage. Now, by saying that, I don't mean to completely rip apart Reservoir, because they are hardly the only club in this area with bad lighting, but as you can see from these videos, their lighting is pretty godawful.

I caught much of the Saturday Ragnarok show at Reservoir, mainly so I could check out MAKE (above). As you may know, they're one of the band playing my day party during Hopscotch. And I had booked them simply on the strength of their recorded output. I am glad (and thankful!) to say that they rock just as hard live as they do on their recordings. Their show Saturday was amazing, and thanks to the fact that the lights were left all the way up during the show, it's the only video that even halfway decent. The others are almost pitch black and good for listening only.


MAKE from Mann's World on Vimeo.

Following MAKE were In the Year of the Pig, Systems and Ruscha. Ruscha didn't do it for me (though i'll give them another try), and Systems grew on me during the show. In the Year of the Pig was great, especially Dave Cantwell's super powerful drumming.


In the Year of the Pig from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Systems from Mann's World on Vimeo.


Ruscha from Mann's World on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

y'know...funny enough, normally we turn the lights down as low as possible, we just forgot on Saturday. again, thank you for the shout out--coming from you it means a hell of a lot to us.

-MAKE