Sunday, July 22, 2012

Photos from Mike Scheidt/Nate Hall and Town Mountai




Last week I saw two shows that were a bit mellower than what I've been listening to recently. The first was Mike Scheidt (aka the frontman for Yob) and Nate Hall (U.S. Christmas) at Kings on Wednesday. I wrote about the show for the Independent's Scan blog. Hall played first - focusing on songs from "A Great River." Scheidt joined him onstage toward the end of the set, then played a set of his own. It was good to see some of my metal buds at the show -- as well as some folks who aren't normally into metal, but love good singer-songwriter music. 


The next night I saw Asheville's Town Mountain, who were holding their CD-release party at the Pour House. I don't see as much bluegrass as I would like, and I'm going to make an effort to change that. The band sounded phenomenal, and I had a great time, even if I did have to put up with a bunch of frat boys basically making idiots of themselves. Not sure why the frat boy/jam band crowd has become so enamored of bluegrass -- maybe it's the influence of the Avetts and Mumfort & Sons. Regardless, I hope that trend passes soon.



No comments: